Trevi Fountain – Rome, Italy
Official Website: Trevi Fountain
The Trevi Fountain (Italian: Fontana di Trevi) is a fountain in the Trevi district in Rome, Italy. It was designed by Italian architect Nicola Salvi and completed by Pietro Bracci. Standing 86 ft high and 161.3 ft wide, it is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and one of the most famous fountains in the world. The fountain has appeared in several notable films, including Federico Fellini‘s La Dolce Vita and the eponymous Three Coins in the Fountain.
The fountain at the junction of three roads (tre vie) marks the terminal point of the “modern” Acqua Vergine, one of the aqueducts that supplied water to ancient Rome. In 19 BC, supposedly with the help of a virgin, Roman technicians located a source of pure water some 8.1 miles from the city. (This scene is presented on the present fountain’s façade.) The eventual indirect route of the aqueduct made its length some 14 mi. This Aqua Virgo led the water into the Baths of Agrippa, which served Rome for more than 400 years.
In 1730 Pope Clement XII organized a contest in which Nicola Salvi was awarded the commission. Work began in 1732 and the fountain was completed in 1762, long after Salvi’s death, when Pietro Bracci‘s Oceanus (god of all water) was set in the central niche.
The Trevi Fountain was finished in 1762 by Giuseppe Pannini, who substituted the present allegories for planned sculptures of Agrippa and “Trivia”, the Roman virgin. It was officially opened and inaugurated on May 22 by Pope Clemens XIII.
Source: edited from Wikipedia
Date: April 2017